Jammu: Notwithstanding India's protest, Pakistani troops continued to pound villages and Army posts along the LoC in Poonch district with 120 mm and 82 mm mortar bombs on Monday, making it the third ceasefire violation in the past 24 hours.
Yesterday India had summoned Pakistan High Commissioner Abdul Basit and lodged a strong protest over the unabated ceasefire violations by the neighbouring country's troops along LoC, in which six Indian civilians have lost their lives.
"Pakistan army breached ceasefire in Balakot sector using mortars at around 7 PM onwards, the firing is still going on," defense spokesman Lt Col Manish Mehta said.
"No causality is reported till the last reports came in," he said.
This is the ninth consecutive day that Pakistan violated the ceasefire. There have been 41 violations of the 2003 ceasefire accord in August this year so far. There has been over 230 ceasefire violations along the Indo-Pak border this year.
Mehta said today, "Pakistan troops resorted to unprovoked ceasefire violations in Saujiyan and Mandi sectors of Poonch district and shelled forward posts and civilian areas with 120 mm and 82 mm mortar bombs and heavy machine guns (HMGs) along LoC from 2200 hours last night to 0100 hours."
Army gave effective reply resulting in exchange of fire, he said.
A woman was killed and five persons were injured yesterday after Pakistani troops fired 120 mm and 82 mm mortars bombs, HMGs and RPGs on border posts and civilian areas in Poonch and Rajouri districts.
The repeated ceasefire violations have claimed six lives in two days, drawing strong protests from India.
There have been repeated ceasefire violations by Pakistan along the over 110 kms long borderline in Poonch, Sujiyan Balakote, Hamirpur, Mandi sectors of Poonch district and Manjakote sector in Rajouri district between August 15-17.
On Independence Day, five civilians, including a sarpanch were killed and five others injured in heavy firing and mortar bomb shelling by Pakistani troops at several Indian posts and civilian areas.
The dead were identified as 52-year-old Karamat Hussain, who was sarpanch of Basoni, 42-year-old Abdul Rahman, a teacher, and 17-year-old Mohd Sheraj Khan Amin.
A 10-year-old child had died in shelling in Basoni along with 18-year-old Mohmmad Amin, who died at GMC Hospital here.
Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM), Mendhar, Sher Singh said people in the border areas have been asked to stay indoors.
"Heavy shelling right from Mankote up to Balakote sector resumed this morning and the shells fell in interior areas of Mendhar. People are requested to stay indoors and avoid travelling on BG-Balakote road even from Dharana side," he said.
Last month, there were 19 ceasefire violations in which four persons, including three jawans, were killed and 14 others injured.