CIA, French sleuths join hands with Indian agencies to ensure a safe Republic Day
New Delhi: In a bid to ensure foolproof security to French President Francois Hollande, who will be the chief guest at the January 26 Republic Day Parade in New Delhi, Indian intelligence agencies are working in tandem with France's Directorate General for External Security (DGSE). Amidst the extreme threat assessment in the wake of terror attacks in Paris and Pathankot, the two agencies are being assisted by the Central Intelligence Agency, the intelligence service of the US government.
According to Indiatimes, experts from India, France and the US have been in touch to share intelligence.
Arrests have been made in India ahead of the Republic Day amidst reports that Islamic State and al Qaeda terrorists are planning targetting the country.
Home Minister Rajnath Singh had earlier this week reviewed the security situation in the national capital with the Delhi Police chief and other senior officials of intelligence and security agencies.
The country's top leadership including President Pranab Mukherjee, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Union Ministers, senior civil and defence officials will be among those attending the main function at the majestic Rajpath.
A ground-to-air security cover will be put in place in the national capital.
The city has already been put on a high alert after the Pathankot terror attack as there were intelligence inputs which suggested that at least two terrorists had entered Delhi.
All steps are being taken to ensure foolproof security during the visit of Hollande, especially as Paris saw one of the worst terrorist attacks on November 13, when 130 people were killed by seven gunmen, they said.
Apart from deployment of forces on the ground, government will also ensure security in air by deploying anti-aircraft guns and declaring no-fly zone in many areas of Delhi.
A total of 10,000 paramilitary personnel, in addition to 80,000 strong Delhi Police, will be on the job in the national capital to ensure greater security cover.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...