close
This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

Conversions will continue until Parliament passes anti-conversion law: Sushma Swaraj

On a day when over 58 persons embraced Hinduism in Kerala's Kottayam, the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party appealed to all parties to support it over an anti-conversion law so as to put an end to the controversial trend.


Conversions will continue until Parliament passes anti-conversion law: Sushma Swaraj

New Delhi: On a day when over 58 persons embraced Hinduism in Kerala's Kottayam, the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party appealed to all parties to support it over an anti-conversion law so as to put an end to the controversial trend.

Speaking to scribes on Thursday, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj reached out to all political parties and said, "Conversions will continue until Parliament passes an anti-conversion law. We want all parties to support us on this."

The BJP has time and again dared the Opposition to support it over the matter who have cornered the government on the ‘ghar wapsi’ campaign in parts of North India and stalled proceedings in Rajya Sabha demanding a statement from Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

Parliamentary Affairs Minister Venkaiah Naidu too had said in Parliament that the government is ready to bring in a law against forced conversions.

The conversions in Kottayam district on Christmas Day were done by the Vishwa Hindu Parishad.

At least 42 members belonging to 20 families embraced Hinduism at the Puthiyakavu Devi temple in Ponkunnam while at another function at the Thirunakara Sri Krishna Swamy temple in Thirunakara, 16 were converted to Hinduism, VHP District President, Balachandran Pillai said.

One of the person who converted is said to be a Muslim.

Pillai said those who had converted had come on their own from Vaikom, Kumarakkam and Kanjirapally.

Similar functions are being held at various places. Yesterday, 11 persons had embraced Hinduism near Kayamkulam in Alappuzha district in yet another case of conversion since the last week in the state.

A batch of 30 persons belonging to eight families of Scheduled Caste Christians had re-converted in the district on December 21.

On conversion, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy had said yesterday that the situation did not warrant a government intervention.

(With Agency Inputs)

From Zee News

0 Comment - Join the Discussions

trending

photo gallery

video

DNA EXCLUSIVES

Crisis in environmental health: Individual efforts can go a long way in reducing air and water pollution

Suicide of reason: The travails and tyrannies of liberalism

Freedom for CEOs: Is it a mirage at India Inc?

DNA Edit: Murthy vs CEO at infosys: Vishal Sikka’s resignation is an outcome of a culture clash

Barcelona terror attacks: Weak Islamic State resorting to desperate measures?