Court accepts closure report in graft case involving doctors
A Delhi court has accepted CBI's closure report in a graft case lodged against two doctors, who were caught on camera in a sting operation allegedly accepting money and agreeing to do some job.
New Delhi: A Delhi court has accepted CBI's closure report in a graft case lodged against two doctors, who were caught on camera in a sting operation allegedly accepting money and agreeing to do some job.
Special CBI judge J P S Malik said the closure report filed by the agency is accepted as "there is no sufficient material on record to proceed" against the two doctors named as accused in the FIR.
The FIR was registered on the basis of an October 17, 2005 letter of Dr P C Kesavankutty Nayar, the then acting President of Medical Council of India (MCI), which was sent to CBI along with two CDs containing recording of a programme which was shown on a news channel on October 14, 2005.
CBI had said that the recording showed Dr K K Arora and Dr A S Nayyar, the then deputy secretaries of MCI, in the programme. While Arora was allegedly shown accepting the money, Nayyar had agreed to some job.
The court said there was no evidence of Arora accepting the money except in the statement of a prosecution witness who was the reporter of the news channel.
"Matter has been investigated by CBI more than once and no actionable evidence against the accused persons could be gathered.
"It is also not possible to comprehend what further evidence could be collected, as the case was based on the sting operation conducted by the crime reporters of ... (news channel) and evidence collected as well as their statements, which are vague, stating no dates of the events or the specific reward or motive and also not explaining the events specifically in reference to the dates of transactions, in their statements," the court said.
It noted that another witness who had earlier stated that Arora had accepted Rs 50,000 in his presence, later on during further investigation said that no recording with regard to transaction of bribe amount between MCI officials and the channel's reporter, was held in his presence.
CBI had filed the third closure report in the matter on September 15 saying during further probe, sufficient material has not come forthwith to establish the complicity of accused persons named in the FIR to prosecute them.