CPI(M),TMC announce candidates for Tripura bypoll
Agartala, with the announcement of bypoll in two Assembly constituencies in Tripura on November 19, two political parties in the state have announced their candidates.
Jhumu Sarkar of the ruling CPI-M and Prakash Das, a Trinamool Congress candidate and a former minister, would contest from Barja (SC reserved) constituency here. The seat fell vacant after Congress MLA Jiten Sarkar resigned from the post.
Ruling CPI-M candidate Biswajit Datta, a state committee member of CPI-M and TMC candidate Manoj Das would contest from Khowai Assembly constituency in Khowai district.
The seat fell vacant after the death of CPI(M) MLA Samir Deb Sarkar on August 28 last.
Left Front Chairman Khagen Das also a former MP and Central Committee member of CPI-M said the decision to field the two candidates were taken unanimously at the meeting of the Left Front Committee last night.
TMC leader and leader of the opposition Sudip Roy Burman told reporters that he had appealed to opposition Congress and BJP not to field any candidate against TMC candidates to show an united face of the opposition political parties against the ruling Left Front.
We are hopeful that we would win the elections if we can put up united candidates against the Left Front, he added.
The result of the elections would be announced on November 22 and the formal notifications for the elections would be made on October 26 by ECI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM