Srinagar: A woman injured in clashes between security forces and protestors in South Kashmir succumbed at a hospital, taking the death toll in the ongoing unrest to 42, even as curfew remained in force in the Valley on Tuesday.
Neelofar was injured in retaliatory firing yesterday after the protestors pelted stones at an Army vehicle in Qazigund.
Two other persons, including a woman, were killed and seven others injured in the incident.
A police spokesman, giving details of the incident, said an army mobile domination patrol party while moving towards Devsar tried to clear a road blockade erected by some persons at Churaht Qazigund.
"The security force party while removing the obstructions came under heavy stone pelting by the miscreants from two sides. The Army party warned the mob to maintain distance but it did not relent.
"Some miscreants tried to snatch weapons from them and tried to set ablaze the vehicles. Despite repeated warnings the mob did not disperse and army fired in self defence in an effort to move out from the spot," the spokesman said, adding six persons were injured in the incident out of which two had succumbed last night.
Curfew, meanwhile, remained in force across the 10 districts of the Valley as there was no sign of deadly clashes between protestors and security forces ending.
The clashes began soon after the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani in an encounter with security forces on July 8.
Police and paramilitary personnel have been deployed in strength across the Valley for strict implementation of the prohibitory orders, the official said.
He said there were no reports of fresh violence from anywhere in the Valley so far.
Normal life also remained paralysed for the 11th day today due to separatist-sponsored strike, which has now been extended till July 22.
In a joint statement, Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Mohammad Yasin Malik yesterday said the shutdown in the Valley will continue till July 22. However, they have announced a relaxation of half day from 2.00 PM onwards on July 21.
Mobile telehony and mobile Internet services also remained shut while newspapers failed to hit stands for the fourth day.