Firing on ‘kar sevaks’ in Ayodhya in 1990 was the only option: Mulayam Singh Yadav
Lucknow: Ahead of the upcoming Uttar Pradesh Assembly Elections, Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav on Sunday reiterated that the decision of ordering firing on 'kar sevaks' in Ayodhya was “painful" but added that he had had no other option.
The firing had earned the then UP chief minister the nickname of 'Mulla Mulayam'.
On the occasion of late socialist leader Karpoori Thakur's birth anniversary, Mulayam said firing was the only option to protect the religious site (Babri mosque), reported IBN7.
Sixteen people were killed in the firing which took place on October 30, 1990. The BJP-backed VHP's Ram temple movement was at its peak at that time.
While addressing party workers at party headquarter here, Mulayam said when the then Leader of Opposition Atal Bihari Vajpayee had mentioned the incident in Parliament, he had replied that it was necessary to order firing.
"I would not have considered my decision, if more lives would have gone to save the religious place," he said, mentioning his replying in Parliament.
Mulayam added that he had resigned afterwards owing moral responsibility.
The politics over Ram Temple in Ayodhya has once again returned to the fore in view of upcoming elections in UP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing