Firing on ‘kar sevaks’ in Ayodhya in 1990 was the only option: Mulayam Singh Yadav
Lucknow: Ahead of the upcoming Uttar Pradesh Assembly Elections, Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav on Sunday reiterated that the decision of ordering firing on 'kar sevaks' in Ayodhya was “painful" but added that he had had no other option.
The firing had earned the then UP chief minister the nickname of 'Mulla Mulayam'.
On the occasion of late socialist leader Karpoori Thakur's birth anniversary, Mulayam said firing was the only option to protect the religious site (Babri mosque), reported IBN7.
Sixteen people were killed in the firing which took place on October 30, 1990. The BJP-backed VHP's Ram temple movement was at its peak at that time.
While addressing party workers at party headquarter here, Mulayam said when the then Leader of Opposition Atal Bihari Vajpayee had mentioned the incident in Parliament, he had replied that it was necessary to order firing.
"I would not have considered my decision, if more lives would have gone to save the religious place," he said, mentioning his replying in Parliament.
Mulayam added that he had resigned afterwards owing moral responsibility.
The politics over Ram Temple in Ayodhya has once again returned to the fore in view of upcoming elections in UP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next