EC announces J&K, Jharkhand polls: As it happened
The Election Commission on Saturday announced dates for elections to Jammu and Kashmir and Jharkhand assemblies.
New Delhi: The Election Commission on Saturday announced dates for elections to Jammu and Kashmir and Jharkhand assemblies. Here are the updates:
- Counting will be held in both states as well as for Delhi bypolls on Dec 23.
- Both Jharkhand and J&K will go to polls in five phases – Nov 25 (Phase 1); Dec 2 (Phase 2); Dec 9 (Phase 3); Dec 14 (Phase 4); Dec 20 (Phase 5)
- Bypolls due in three Delhi Assembly constituencies - Mehrauli, Tughlakabad, Krishna Nagar; to be held on Nov 25 along with Phase 1 polling in both states.
- Model code of conduct comes into force immediately – CEC Sampath
- Paper voter slip will be provided in both states
- NOTA option will be made available in both states
- 10,015 polling stations in J&K; 24,648 in Jharkhand
- EPIC coverage in Jharkhand 99.06%; in J&K 91%.
- Total number of electorate in J&K - 72.25 lakhs; in Jharkhand - 207.44 lakhs.
- Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath is currently addressing a press conference to announce the schedule for Jammu and Kashmir and Jharkhand Assembly Elections.
Earlier story: The EC is scheduled to hold a press conference at 4:00 pm today.
The current term of the two assemblies expires in January 2015 – of Jammu and Kashmir Assembly on January 19; of Jharkhand on January 3.
While 81 seats will go to polls in Jharkhand, voting will be held in 87 constituencies in Jammu and Kashmir.
There had been speculation that polling in J&K could be delayed due to the recent floods, but the EC had maintained a silence on the issue.