Entire family, save 3-year-old girl, dies after eating mushroom
An entire family, barring a three-year old girl, has died after consuming wild mushrooms in Mizoram's Mamit district, with the latest casualty reported today, hospital sources said.
Aizawl: An entire family, barring a three-year old girl, has died after consuming wild mushrooms in Mizoram's Mamit district, with the latest casualty reported today, hospital sources said.
Saihmingthanga (12), who was in ICU at Aizawl Civil Hospital, died today due to multiple organ failure, the hospital's Medical Superintendent Dr Rosangluaia told PTI.
His father Saikhuma (35) and youngest brother, Malsawmtluanga (8), had died on April 8, while Biakrinawma (10), another brother of Saihmingthanga, had died the previous day at Mamit district hospital, sources said.
Saihmingthanga along with his mother Ramdinmawii (34), sister Miriami (3) and their guest V L Hriata (20) were brought to Aizawl by helicopter on April 8. Ramdinmawii died at the Aizawl Hospital and Research Centre's ICU on April 10, the medical superintendent said.
Saikhuma had reportedly collected wild mushroom from the jungle on April 4 and ate it in dinner after which the family and their guest had stomach pain and loose motion. They were admitted to Mamit District Hospital, police said.
Mamit District Officer's Club and Young Mizo Association (YMA) have opened accounts in the name of the three-year old Miriami as she had no family member left to take care of her.