close
This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

Hajj stampede: Death toll of Indians killed outside Mecca rises to 18

The death toll of Indian pilgrims in the horrific stampede during Hajj rose to 18 on Saturday as Saudi Arabia grappled to come to terms with the worst tragedy to hit the annual pilgrimage in 25 years that has claimed 719 lives so far.



Mina: The death toll of Indian pilgrims in the horrific stampede during Hajj rose to 18 on Saturday as Saudi Arabia grappled to come to terms with the worst tragedy to hit the annual pilgrimage in 25 years that has claimed 719 lives so far.

"Our officials on the ground in Mecca have been working continuously to ascertain information and reach out to family members of missing pilgrims. According to the latest information, 18 Indians have died in the tragedy," External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson Vikas Swarup said today.

"Our mission is working with Saudi authorities and family members to confirm the identities of the deceased and expedite formalities for release of the mortal remains," he said.

Of the 18 Indians killed, 11 were from Gujarat, three from Tamil Nadu and one each from Telangana, Kerala, Jharkhand and Uttar Pradesh.

Out of the 18 Indians killed, four persons, who were later found among the dead, have been identified as -- Rasul Ali from Jharkhand, Moinuddin from Uttar Pradesh, Hafijabahen Satarsha Diwan from Gujarat and Syed Abdul Hussain from Gujarat.

At least 13 Indians were also among the over 863 people injured in the tragedy.

As Muslim pilgrims somberly resumed the final rites of Hajj yesterday, Saudi Arabia's King Salman ordered a safety review and a "revision" of the Hajj​ organisation.

Leading the criticism against Saudi Arabia, its regional rival Iran expressed indignation at the deaths of 131 of its nationals at the world's largest annual gathering of people.
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani in New York questioned whether the Saudi government could be trusted with the responsibility of overseeing the Hajj.

Meanwhile, Saudi Health Minister Khalid al-Falih said the stampede "was perhaps because some pilgrims moved without following instructions by the relevant authorities.
King Salman ordered the formation of a committee to probe the incident during the five-day pilgrimage in which around two million people from more than 180 countries took part. From India, 1.5 lakh pilgrims performed Hajj.

Haj is one of the five pillars of Islam that should be performed at least once in a lifetime by every Muslim who is financially and physically capable.

The stampede broke out after two massive lines of pilgrims converged on each other from different directions at an intersection close to the five-storey Jamarat Bridge in Mina for symbolic stoning of the devil.

It was the second major accident this year for pilgrims, after a construction crane collapsed on September 11 at Mecca's Grand Mosque, Islam's holiest site, killing over 100 people, including many foreigners.

The Saudi civil defence authority said 719 pilgrims from different nationalities were killed in the stampede. 

From Zee News

0 Comment - Join the Discussions

trending

photo gallery

video

DNA EXCLUSIVES

After 'suit boot ki sarkar' and Rohith Vemula, economy is PM Narendra Modi's third and biggest challenge

Narendra Modi's fear made Dawood change hideouts four times since 2014, reveals Iqbal Kaskar

'AAP will get 10 MLAs': Best Twitter reactions to Arvind Kejriwal meeting Kamal Haasan

The US-N Korea stand-off revives nuclear holocaust fears

DNA Edit: GDP growth pangs