New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Monday conferred Padma Shri to Koshali poet Haldhar Nag.
Here are a few interesting facts about the man who has contributed to the literary field of Odisha in a great way:
- Haldhar Nag, 66, began his journey as a dishwasher at a local sweet shop.
- Born in Bargarh district of Odisha in 1950, Nag is a Class III dropout.
- The poet in Kosli language has written 20 epics and remembers all the poems.
- He wrote his first poem ‘Dhodo Bargachh’ (The Old Banyan Tree) in 1990.
- The BBC has made a documentary on his life and works.
- He had been a topic of research for five PhD scholars.
- Haldhar Nag, always clad in dhoti and vest, has never even worn any footwear. In fact, he went to receive Padma award at Rashtrapati Bhavan bare feet.
- His work will soon be compiled by Sambalpur University and make it a part of its syllabus.
- He is now known as Lok Kabi Ratna in Odisha.