New Delhi: The Akhil Bharatiya Jat Aarakshan Sangharsh Samiti (ABJASS) on Sunday announced resumption of their agitation for job quota in Haryana from June 5.
"We will hold `Jat Nyay` rally in Haryana from June 5 as promises made by Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar have not been fulfilled," ABJASS president Yashpal Malik told reporters here.
He, however, did not reveal the details of the agitation programme.
The Jats had earlier agitated in Haryana in February to press their demand for reservation in government jobs and educational institutions.
In the ensuing violence, 30 people were killed and 320 injured and property worth hundreds of crores was destroyed in February.
The latest decision to hold the protest rally was taken at an emergency meeting of the ABJASS national executive. It also discussed the preparations for the new bout of agitation.
"We were promised that those arrested during the Jat quota stir earlier will be released and compensation given to kin of those killed or the injured. We will hold a peaceful protest, but if police retaliates or tries to stop us by using violence, the protestors are free to take their call," Malik said.
The Haryana government on May 13 notified the Haryana Backward Classes (Reservation in services and admission in educational institutions) Act, 2016, to provide reservation to Jats and five other communities.
However, the Punjab and Haryana High Court issued an interim order to put on hold the quota approved by the state government.
The Jat community subsequently threatened to re-launch its agitation from June 5, following which Haryana Police on May 27 said they were fully prepared to deal with any stir.