New Delhi: The Ministry of Home affairs asked Karnataka, Maharashtra and Haryana governments on Wednesday to ensure the safety of people of Northeast apprehending attacks on them.
The ministry's advisory to to the state governments fearing attacks on Northeast people in Bengaluru, Pune, Gurgaon have come in the wake of the lynching of a rape accused in Dimapur.
The communication has been sent by the Home Ministry after it found that a misinformation campaign about the Dimapur incident was going on in social media, as per PTI.
"We suspect that the social media is being used by some anti-social elements to create tension and instigate people to attack people of Northeast origin in the three cities," a Home Ministry official said justifying the issuing of the advisory.
The Centre also told the states to deploy adequate security forces in places where sizeable number of Northeast people live and roam around in these cities.
The activities in social media have been witnessed after Syed Sarif Khan, who was accused of raping a girl, was lynched by a mob after being dragged out from a jail in Dimapur.
The mob stripped Khan naked, beat him up, pelted him with stones and dragged him towards the centre of Dimapur town, seven kilometres away from the jail. He died from his injuries on the way after which the mob displayed his body from a clock tower.
Thousands of northeast origin people living in Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Pune and other cities had fled their place of work and study in August 2012 after rumours of possible attacks on them in the wake of clashes between Bodo tribals and immigrant Muslims in Assam that year.
No rape but consensual sex: Nagaland govt tells MHA
Meanwhile, the Nagaland government has conveyed to the Centre that Khan did not rape the girl who accused him of assaulting her but they had consensual sex twice.
In a report to the Home Ministry, the state government said Khan had given a statement to police after his arrest on February 24 that he had paid Rs 5,000 to the alleged rape victim after they had sex twice.
According to the report, Khan had also told police that the girl went with him on her free will and had demanded more money from him after the sexual encounters which he had refused. FIR of rape was filed soon after.
"It appears on the basis of Khan's confession, that it was not rape but consensual sex," a Home Ministry official quoted the Nagaland government report as stating.
Since his arrest on February 24, Khan was in the Dimpaur central jail. On March 5, a mob broke into the jail, dragged him out, stripped him naked, beat him up, pelted him with stones and dragged him towards the centre of Dimapur town, seven kilometres away. He died from his injuries on the way after which the mob displayed his body from a clock tower.
The Nagaland government also said that investigation into the case was still going on and on the basis of medical examination and forensic evidence, the case could be taken forward.
The medical examination of Khan and alleged rape victim had been conducted after the incident of was reported.
Forensic evidences collected from the alleged rape victim and Khan have been sent to the Central Forensic Science Laboratory in Guwahati for obtaining expert opinion.
Police investigation was also made at Hotel De Oriental Dream (where accused Khan had alleged taken the victim) and CCTV footage were collected with necessary documents, the official said quoting the report.
The earlier report had said that a local Naga youth was allegedly involved in helping Khan in the incident and he too was arrested and sent to Dimapur central jail along with Khan.
However, the mob did not touch the Naga youth when Khan was dragged out of the prison on March 5 and lynched.
With PTI inputs