How does Russia's S-400 Triumf missile defence fare vis-a-vis US' Patriot system - Read details
Triumf's selection over other advanced systems like the US Patriot and Israel's Iron Dome is reportedly based on a region-specific threat.
New Delhi: India on Saturday signed a multi-billion dollar agreement to acquire Russia's flagship S-400 'Triumf' missile defence system, dubbed as a 'game changer' by experts. Triumf's selection over other advanced systems like the US Patriot and Israel's Iron Dome is based on the region-specific threat.
Here is a comparative statistic between S-400 and US Patriot:
Russia's S-400 'Triumf':
1. The S-400 'Triumf' is a long-range air defence missile system.
2. This new generation anti-aircraft system can be equipped with long-range missiles (from 120km to 400 km).
3. The S-400 Triumf is capable of countering all air-borne threats, including tactical aircraft, ballistic missiles and hypersonic targets such as US F-35 jets.
4. Considered most modern air defence system, capable of firing three types of missiles, creating a layered defence, and simultaneously engaging 36 targets.
5. S-400 can engage multiple targets simultaneously with as many as 72 missiles at altitudes of five meters to 30 km.
6. It is an upgraded version of S-300, which had previously only been available to the Russian defence forces.
7. S-400 is manufactured by Almaz-Antey and has been in service in Russia since 2007.
8. Besides India, China is the only country to have this prized missile system.
9. The S-400 system will come at a cost of $3 billion.
US Patriot missile defence system:
1. The US Patriot missile defence system is manufactured by Raytheon.
2. Patriot is a long-range, high altitude, all-weather solution tested with the US Army oversight under real-world conditions.
3. It can counter threats from tactical ballistic missiles, cruise missiles, drones and advanced aircraft.
4. The Patriot has underwent changes over time with several enhancements.
5. The GaN-based AESA radar technology has been added to increase detection range, power and enable 360 degree coverage.
6. It also has a Common Command and Control to allow seamless operation with partner and allied systems.
7. It also has the ability to fire multiple missile types, matching the right missile to the threat.
8. The systems are designed with open architecture and tailored to specific needs.