India seeks Pakistan's help to decipher Pathankot attack information

India has submitted evidence to show that the six men who opened fire at the air base came from Pakistan.

India seeks Pakistan's help to decipher Pathankot attack information

New Delhi: India on Wednesday sought Pakistan's help in deciphering the information it has regarding the Pathankot terror attack.

The Ministry of External Affairs, served letters rogatory to Pakistan seeking information on the intercepted phone calls of people allegedly belonging to Jaish-e-Mohammad, reports said.

India also wants information on the food packets, arms and ammunitions recovered from the slain militants.

India has submitted evidence to show that the six men who opened fire at the air base came from across the border, and demanded action against the terror group Jaish-e-Mohammed led by Azhar.

At least for the record, Pakistan has indicated its seriousness to probe the attack. Last week Islamabad set up a five-member Joint Investigation Team (JIT) to probe the terror attack. Earlier, a six-member SIT was set up by the government for the initial probe into the January 2 attack based on the leads given by India.

Yesterday, Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif’s Foreign Affairs Advisor Sartaj Aziz said the SIT may visit India in the next few days and hoped that the Foreign Secretary-level talks will be scheduled very soon.

Earlier today, Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar indicated that action against terror by Pakistan will take priority over talks with it in the aftermath of the Pathankot strike that had prompted the postponement of the Foreign Secretary-level talks.'

“In the aftermath of a terror attack, if you ask me what do you give priority to, a terrorist attack or a diplomatic dialogue, I think the answer should be obvious,” he said.

Jaishankar said both the countries were in touch with each other following the Pathankot attack, primarily at the level of National Security Advisers and to a certain extent between him and his Pakistani counterpart. The Foreign Secretary said “parallel processes” are at works.

India had blamed terror group Jaish-e-Mohammed for the Pathankot attack and sought action against the perpetrators of the strike which had led to the postponement of Indo-Pak Foreign Secretary-level talks. India had said Jaish-e-Mohammed chief Masood Azhar masterminded the attack.

With PTI inputs  

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link

Close