Indian Army rejects Pakistan's proposal to withdraw troops from Siachen
In what displays the valour and undying spirit of Indian soldiers, the Army on Friday said that despite losing ten of its personnel in the recent avalanche in Siachen the troops will not be withdrawn from the highest battle field in the world.
New Delhi: In what displays the valour and undying spirit of Indian soldiers, the Army on Friday said that despite losing ten of its personnel in the recent avalanche in Siachen the troops will not be withdrawn from the highest battle field in the world.
Turning down Pakistan's proposal to mutually withdraw troops from Siachen to ensure more lives are not lost due to harsh conditions on the glacier, General Officer Commanding-in Chief of the Northern Command, Lt General D S Hooda, said there is no question of troops withdrawl and the Army is committed to defend its borders.
As per an Indian Express report, Hooda said, “No question of troops withdrawal from Siachen as proposed by Pakistan unless Indian position on ground is authenticated.”
“I see no reason at all to connect this to any withdrawal from the Glacier. That being absolutely clear to us, we are committed to defending our borders and we will continue to do that,” he added.
While referring to a proposal of mutual withdrawal of troops from Siachen made by his Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif at the UN General Assembly last year, Pakistan High Commissioner Abdul Basit had yesterday said that these tragedies only reinforce the need to resolve the issue... urgently and through peaceful means, through dialogue.
“For anybody to link avalanche and the tragedy that has befallen there with the withdrawal is absolutely unwarranted and incorrect,” he said. “Our stand in this context is very clear that if we have to begin talks for withdrawal, our actual position on ground…where Indian Army is positioned, should be authenticated first and that should be agreeable to both the sides,” Hooda was quoted as saying by Indian Express.