JMM leader Upendra Singh shot dead in court premises in Jamshedpur
Jamshedpur: JMM leader Upendra Singh was shot dead on Wednesday by a group of unidentified assailants on the busy second floor of the Bar Association building in a local courthere, the Police said.
Singh, who had unsuccessfully contested the last Assembly elections from Jamshedpur West seat on a JMM ticket, was visiting the crowded building, within the limits of Sitaramdera police station, to consult his lawyer in connection with his bail in a pending case, when assailants allegedly opened fire indiscriminately.
A profusely bleeding Singh was rushed to Tata Main Hospital, but was declared "dead on arrival", said Superintendent of Police (City) Prasant Anand.
Soon after the incident two persons were arrested, he said adding, further investigations were on.
Singh, who owns a restaurant in the local bus stand, was released on bail a few months ago after he was arrested and sent to jail in connection with the murder of his business partner Ramshakal Yadav last year.
Among other cases, Singh was also an accused in the firing at the bus stand, which had claimed three lives a few years back.
Bar Association sources said panicky lawyers rushed for safety soon after the incident and a lady lawyer, who fell down in the commotion, suffered minor injuries.
Two of the suspected assailants also suffered injuries after the people caught hold of them and beat up before handing them over to the police.
Senior Police officers with adequate force rushed to thespot following the incident to maintain law and order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'