Juvenile convict in Delhi gang-rape case won't be kept in NGO custody: Report

The juvenile sentenced for his involvement in the 2012 Delhi gang-rape case will not be kept under monitoring of an non-governmental organisation (NGO) after his release from a special home later this month, say a report on Thursday.

Last Updated: Dec 04, 2015, 00:25 AM IST
Juvenile convict in Delhi gang-rape case won't be kept in NGO custody: Report
Juvenile convict in the Delhi gang-rape case. File photo

New Delhi: The juvenile sentenced for his involvement in the 2012 Delhi gang-rape case will not be kept under monitoring of an non-governmental organisation (NGO) after his release from a special home later this month, say a report on Thursday.

Earlier in the day, media reports had quoted sources as saying that the convict, who is now 21, will be in the custody of an NGO for a year after walking out of a special home.

Also Read: Nirbhaya gang-rape case: Juvenile convict won't be freed, to stay in NGO for a year

However, The Quint has quoted the Ministry of Women and Child Development sources as saying that there is no such legal provision to keep the juvenile rapist in an NGO. The Delhi government has also denied any such development, said The Quint.

Last month, the parents of the victim had demanded that the face of juvenile convict, who was the "most brutal" of all the six offenders, should be shown to the world before he is released citing "he is a threat to the society".

Also Read: Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents

The victim's parents had expressed disappointment over reports that the juvenile would be kept in an NGO and had urged the government to ensure that the convict is put behind the bars.

"It doesn`t matter to us whether he is put in an NGO or not. What we know is that the juvenile has been released, whether he is an NGO or somewhere else. What matters is that he is out of jail," Nirbhaya`s mother had told ANI.

"We will always be dissatisfied over the fact that the person involved in the brutal killing of our daughter is roaming free. Our daughter will not get justice unless and until the four convicts are hanged and the juvenile convict is put behind the bars," she had added.

Ahead of the release of the juvenile convict, Union Minister Maneka Gandhi on December 01, 2015, said that she has written to the Home Ministry demanding that those accused of sexual abuse and having served a sentence, should be tracked once released.

Also Read: Govt to track juvenile convicted in December 16 gang-rape after his release?

A physiotherapy student was raped and assaulted with an iron rod after she was tricked into boarding an unregistered private bus to go home after watching a movie with a male friend on December 16, 2012.

Her male companion was badly beaten up and could not come to her rescue when she was assaulted in the bus. The two were later dumped naked and bleeding on the roadside.

The woman was airlifted to a Singapore hospital for treatment where she died -- 13 days after the assault -- of the injuries inflicted upon her.