Delhi: India on Thursday called 'confirmation of truth' Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif's reported comment that the Kargil 'misadventure' in 1999 by troops of his country was a stab in the back for the then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee as the two neighbours were engaged in a peace process.
"Nawaz Sharif has said something which was known to all. Everybody knew about it. He has only confirmed a truth which we all aware of," External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson Vikas Swarup said.
The MEA spokesperson said that everybody knew about what Sharif had said.
Sharif had recently accepted that the occupation of Kargil by Pakistani troops in 1999 was a misadventure, as per media reports.
He had also said that it was a stab in the back for Vajpayee, as per India Today.
"Vajpayee told me that he was stabbed in the back because of Pakistan's misadventure in Kargil, especially during the process of Lahore Declaration. Vajpayee was right. I would have said the same thing - he was certainly backstabbed (in Kargil)," he was quoted as saying by the report.
"But, who do I complain to about that now. We (India and Pakistan) pray to the same God," he had added.
Pakistani troops had occupied a number of positions in Kargil heights, months after Sharif and Vajpayee had initiated a peace processs by signing the historic Lahore declaration.
Meanwhile, on proposed FS talks between the two sides, Swarup said both foreign secretaries are in touch with each other but no dates have been finalised yet, as per.
Asked about Pakistan's offer of sending a special investigation team to India to probe the Pathankot attack, he said India was waiting for a firm proposal from Islamabad on the issue.
"We have said that we welcomed the decision of Pakistan government to form an SIT. As and when a firm proposal is received, then the modalities will be worked out," he said, as per PTI.
On Pakistan's response to evidence given by India on involvement of terrorists from that country in the attack, he said the issue is being handled by NSAs of the two countries.
Asked about Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar's reported remarks that he was opposed to any joint probe into the attack, the MEA spokesperson said there was no such proposal.
"There was never a joint investigation team. Pakistan had proposed sending a special investigation team to India and that time we had welcomed it. Since then we are awaiting a detailed proposal from Pakistan. Once we receive it, we will discuss," said Swarup.
(With PTI inputs)