New Delhi: On a day the Centre cleared an ordinance to defer NEET for a year, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Friday said the government must go ahead with the National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test for admissions in medical courses.
"I sincerely urge Modi ji not to bring any ordinance to overturn SC order on NEET. Wrote this letter to hon`ble PM," Kejriwal said in a tweet.
The Supreme Court on May 9 ordered the implementation of the common entrance test for under-graduate medical courses in India from this academic year.
Kejriwal said multiple entrance examinations conducted by various state and private medical colleges deprive deserving students of seats.
"Admissions to medical colleges are a fraud in itself. Students have to pay huge sums of money in the name of paid seats. Those who can pay money get admissions while the deserving are left high and dry," Kejriwal said in the letter to Modi, a copy of which he shared in his tweet.
However, the union government earlier in the morning cleared the ordinance to defer the implementation of NEET.
Several BJP MPs and several state governments, including Maharashtra, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu, had opposed the implementation of a common entrance test from this year.