Know all about 1993 Mumbai serial blasts
Yakub Memon, convicted in the March 12, 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts, was hanged till death at the Nagpur Central Jail in Maharashtra on Thursday morning, officials said.
Nagpur: Yakub Memon, convicted in the March 12, 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts, was hanged till death at the Nagpur Central Jail in Maharashtra on Thursday morning, officials said.
Memon, the lone 1993 Mumbai serial blasts convict became the third terror convict to have been sent to the gallows in the last four years.
- Mar 12, 1993: A series of 13 explosions rock Mumbai resulting in 257 fatalities and injuries to 713 others.
- Apr 19: Actor Sanjay Dutt (accused number 117) arrested.
- Nov 4 : Over 10,000 page-long primary charge sheet filed against 189 accused, including Dutt.
- Nov 19: Case handed over to CBI.
- Apr 1, 1994: TADA court shifted from city's sessions and civil court to a separate building inside the premises of the Arthur Road Central Jail.
- Apr 10, 1995: 26 accused discharged by the TADA court. Charges framed against the remaining accused.
- Apr 19: Trial commences. * Apr-June: Charges framed against the accused. * June 30: Two accused, Mohammed Jameel and Usman Jhankanan, turn approvers in the case.
- Oct 14: Dutt granted bail by the Supreme Court.
- Mar 23, 1996: Judge J N Patel transfered and elevated as a high court judge.
- Mar 29: P D Kode designated as a special TADA judge for the case.
- Oct 2000: Examination of 684 prosecution witnesses ends.
- Mar 9-July 18, 2001: Accused record their statements.
- Aug 9: Prosecution begins arguments.
- Oct 18: Prosecution completes arguments.
- Nov 9: Defence starts arguments.
- Aug 22, 2002: Defence closes arguments.
- Feb 20, 2003: Dawood gang member Ejaz Pathan produced in court.
- Mar 20, 2003: Mustafa Dossa's remand proceedings and trial separated.
- Sept 2003: Trial ends. Court reserves Judgement.
- June 13, 2006: Gangster Abu Salem's trial separated.
- Aug 10: Judge P D Kode says judgement will be pronounced on September 12.
- Sept 12: Court starts delivering the judgement, pronounces four members of the Memon family guilty, acquits three. 12 convicts awarded death penalty while 20 were given life sentence.
- Nov 1, 2011: SC begins hearing on appeals filed by the 100 convicts as well as the state.
- Aug 29, 2012: SC reserves its order on the appeals.
- Mar 21, 2013: SC upholds death sentence of convict Yakub Memon, brother of Tiger Memon, and commutes death sentence of 10 convicts to life term. Life imprisonment of 16 out of 18 convicts also upheld.
- July 21, 2015: SC rejects Yakub's curative petition, Yakub Memon to be hanged on July 3oth.
- Jul 23: Memon moves SC seeking stay of execution of his death sentence scheduled for July 30.
- Jul 27: The case faces legal issues in SC regarding curative plea of Memon.
- Jul 28: Two judges' SC bench split over Yakub's plea, refers it to CJI for constituting larger bench.
- July 29, 2015: SC dismisses Yakub's plea against his execution and says issue of death warrant is in order.
- July 29, 2015: The mercy petition of Yakub Memon, facing gallows in the 1993 Mumbai blasts, was rejected by President Pranab Mukherjee after government advised him such a course.
- July 29, 2015: In yet another last ditch action, lawyers for Yakub Memon, moved the Supreme Court late night seeking stay of his hanging.