Discussion on 'Motion of Thanks to the President's Address': As it happened
The Lok Sabha takes up debate on Aircel-Maxis issue amid loud protests from Congress MPs who say it is not on agenda.
Updated: Mar 03, 2016, 00:10 AM IST
Pic Courtesy: ANI
- Timely and very forceful intervention by Rahul Gandhi. Good to see things that needed to be said are being brought to the fore. Well done: Former J&K CM Omar Abdullah tweeted.
- PM didn't consult the armed forces, he didn't consult the officials, I don't think he even discussed with Sushma ji: Rahul
- And what does PM do? Without any thought or vision, the PM decided to go have tea with Pakistan PM: Rahul
- Pakistan directly attacked this country in Mumbai (26/11). Almost 200 people were murdered and butchered: Rahul
- When 26/11 operations were on, our citizens and soldiers were dying, GOI begged the then Gujarat CM to not visit Mumbai, but he didn't listen: Rahul
- Most important question, where is Naga accord now? It's gone with the wind. Bye Bye accord: Rahul
- You have been taught by your teachers in RSS, that there is only 1 truth in universe,your own & that nobody else’s opinion matters: Rahul
- I felt proud that I still lived in a country where it's possible to be confronted by people who don't hold the same view as yours: Rahul
- The country is not the PM, the PM is not the county: Rahul
- Whose opinion does the PM listen to? Whose opinion does he respect, his ministers?, asks Rahul
- Respecting the flag means respecting the opinion of every Indian. When I want to JNU, your ABVP workers showed me black flags: Rahul
- When I salute the flag, I do not salute the cloth, I salute the relationship the flag represents: Rahul
- When media, teachers and students were beaten up in the court, PM Modi did not speak on it: Rahul
- Is Savarkar not yours? Have you thrown him out?, asks Rahul
- I couldn't understand one thing. I said Gandhi ji is ours and Savarkar is yours. What wrong did I say: Rahul
- Where is written that to beat journalists, teachers is justified: Rahul
- What is JNU? 60% people are Dalits and OBC. Neither you can suppress it nor the people of this country: Rahul
- I heard whole speak of Kanhaiya Kumar, not a word in his speech was anti-national: Rahul
- Modiji did not speak to Rohith's mother, did he even speak on the issue: Rahul
- I know PM Modi is very powerful man, but somebody must tell him this: Rahul
- Arun Jaitley came to me and said that there was no better scheme than MNREGA, I asked him why he doesn't tell that to his boss: Rahul
- Modi ji had promised to provide employment. He made a lion (Make in India symbol), but should tell how many people have got employment: Rahul
- I'm not from RSS, so I commit mistakes: Rahul Gandhi
- I don't know anything, I don't understand anything, I listen to public and try to understand them and then I speak in this house: Rahul
- Before elections Modi ji said Dal is 70 Rs/Kg and he promised to bring down prices,but now Dal is 200 Rs/Kg: Rahul
- Modi ji had promised that he will put people with black money behind bars, now they have come up with way to save those people: Rahul Gandhi in Parliament.
- They launched a 'Fair and Lovely' yojana, to convert black money to white money: Rahul Gandhi in Lok Sabha.
- Discussion on Motion of Thanks on the President’s Address resumes in Lok Sabha.
- Speaking on allegations against Karti Chidambaram, Jaitley says that if in any scam, a person is found connected or cornered, no one will be spared.
Also Read: Aircel-Maxis issue: Not influenced by UPA's stand; guilty to be booked soon, says Jaitley
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley clarifies on Aircel-Maxis deal in Lok Sabha.
- Participating in a special discussion on the Aircel-Maxis issue, TJ Venkatesh (AIADMK) regrets that Prime Minister Narendra Modi came to power on the promise of unearthing black money, but his government was doing precious little to bring to book those behind the Aircel-Maxis deal which has "deep roots in the infamous 2G scam, the biggest in independent India".
- BJD leader Bhartruhari Mahtab claims that no FIR has been lodged yet in the Aircel-Maxis deal, and the CBI and ED have not filed chargesheet so far, despite the fact that the money laundering trail in the deal has allegedly spread to 14 countries including British Virgin Islands.
- Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan says she had got a notice of BJD leader Bhartruhari Mahtab for a discussion on Aircel-Maxis matter and she was allowing it.
- Proceedings in Lok Sabha begin.
- India has approached several countries, including Japan, Russia and the UK, for handing over of documents relating to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose and some of them have responded, Minister of State for Home Haribhai Parathibhai Chaudhary tells Rajya Sabha.
Also Read: Govt has declassified all available files on Netaji: Minister
- Minister of State for Home Haribhai Parathibhai Chaudhary tells Rajya Sabha that eight ex-servicemen have been arrested by police for their alleged involvement in spying activities at the behest of Pakistani Intelligence Operatives (PIOs) in last three years.
- Proceedings in Rajya Sabha begin.
- Lok Sabha adjourned till 2:15 pm.
- Government seized of concerns over the EPF issue and will address them during the reply on Budget: Finance Minister Arun Jaitley in Lok Sabha
- Rajya Sabha adjourned till 2 pm.
- Lok Sabha takes up debate on Aircel-Maxis issue amid loud protests from Congress MPs who say it is not on agenda.
- Lok Sabha proceedings begin.
- Lok Sabha adjourned briefly following Opposition uproar over alleged inflammatory statement by Union Minister Ram Shankar Katheria in Agra.
- Congress` Mallikarjun Kharge raises the issue of Union Minister Ram Shankar Katheria's controversial remarks made at a public meeting in Agra allegedly directed at Muslims.
- Arjun Ram Meghwal (BJP) defends Smriti Irani, saying she had quoted a police report to make her points.
- Ranjit Ranjan (Congress) accuses Smriti Irani of referring to her in a "threatening" manner and says this is the difference between an "elected member" and a "selected member", an apparent jibe at the HRD Minister who lost in the last Lok Sabha polls from Amethi and is a member of Rajya Sabha now.
- Mohammad Salim (CPI-M) says, "What the Minister said was totally blatant untruth. Will you allow the House to be used to mislead the nation?"
- Congress' KC Venugopal refers to Smriti Irani's statement in which she had said that no doctor was allowed near Rohith Vemula after his suicide attempt. He cites the subsequent response of the Hyderabad health official to claim that she made "false" comments.
- Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan vents her anguish over the relentless slogan-shouting by the Opposition members. "You raise slogans against the Speaker... Whatever you have done today is not good," said an anguished Mahajan as she allows them to speak.
- HRD Minister Smriti Irani is again in the line of fire in Lok Sabha with Opposition members forcing Speaker Sumitra Mahajan to allow them to speak on their notice for Privilege Motion against the minister.
- Under attack over a proposal to tax PF, Labour Minister Bandaru Dattatreya told Rajya Sabha that the government is in discussion with all stakeholders and will consider the issue.
- Union Minister of State for Labour (independent charge) Bandaru Dattatreya speaks in Rajya Sabha.
- Rajya Sabha proceedings begin.
- Rajya Sabha adjourned till 12 pm following uproar by AIADMK MPs on Chidambaram issue and Congress protest over alleged Gujarat land scam.
- AIADMK members continue to shout slogans despite Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien's repeated attempts to pacify protesters.
- "I am not able to understand why you (Congress members) are shouting. So many things will appear in newspapers. ... The House can take up only notices... House cannot take cognisance of newspapers," says PJ Kurien.
- Congress members raise slogans from their seats and the aisles and some were heard seeking a CBI probe in the alleged Gujarat land scam.
- Rajya Sabha proceedings begin.
- Skill Development Minister Rajiv Pratap Rudy informs Lok Sabha that the government has joined hands with the World Bank to upgrade 400 ITIs across the country.
- Minister of State for Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions Jitendra Singh informs the Lok Sabha that the action like dismissal and compulsorily retirement has been taken against 73 officers for various reasons since January 2015 till February this year.
- In Lok Sabha, Minister for Development of North Eastern Region Jitendra Singh said that some state governments in the North East were to belamed for delay in implementing various development projects. "There have been reports regarding funds not being released in time and delays in sending utilisation certificates and other documents in a number of cases, resulting in delays in completion of projects," says Singh during Question Hour.Lok Sabha, Minister for Development of North Eastern Region Jitendra Singh said that some state governments in the North East were to belamed for delay in implementing various development projects. "There have been reports regarding funds not being released in time and delays in sending utilisation certificates and other documents in a number of cases, resulting in delays in completion of projects," says Singh during Question Hour.
- BJP MP Om Birla gives a notice in Lok Sabha on Ishrat Jahan case.
- Amid noisy protests, Rajya Sabha adjourned for 10 minutes.Rajya Sabha adjourned for 10 minutes.
- Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi demands the mention of Gujarat case to be expunged, and says that possibly the Congress also wanted to discuss the allegations against Chidambaram and his son.
- There should be an inquiry in the Gujarat land issue involving state Chief Minister Anandiben Patel's daughter: Ghulam Nabi Azad in Rajya Sabha
- Congress members refer to a newspaper report which said Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel`s daughter`s partner was given land at around 92 percent concessional rate.
- Union Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs and Minority Affairs Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi says the govt was ready for discussion on Karti Chidambaram issue. AIADMK should give notice, adds Naqvi in Rajya Sabha.
- Parliament proceedings begin amid noise.
- P Chidambaram has already explained his stand on Ishrat Jahan case. We stand by the explanation. There is nothing new in BJP targeting Congress, says Sonia Gandhi
- It is clear from the facts that are coming to light that whatever happened during UPA rule in the Ishrat Jahan case was anti-national: Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways and Shipping Nitin GadkariIshrat Jahan case was anti-national: Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways and Shipping Nitin Gadkari
- AIADMK has given adjournment motion in Lok Sabha on P Chidambaram's role in Aircel-Maxis deal
- Bharatiya Janata Party MP Shatrughan Sinha says that the 'dubious' role of former home minister P Chidambaram in Ishrat Jahan case needs to be re-examined.Chidambaram in Ishrat Jahan case needs to be re-examined.
- Congress president Sonia Gandhi's strategy meet with party senior leaders begins.
- BJP MP Bhupender Yadav gives a calling attention notice in Rajya Sabha on development in Ishrat Jahan case.
- Union Minister M Venkaiah Naidu seeks answer from the then home minister P Chidamabram and prime minister Manmohan Singh on why an affidavit on Ishrat Jahan was changed.
- The Bharatiya Janata Party has given a breach-of-privilege notice in the Lok Sabha against the Congress`s chief whip Jyotiraditya Scindia for having made "defamatory" remarks against Union Labour and Employment Minister Bandaru Dattatreya. Earlier, the Congress had also moved a breach-of-privilege motion against Union Human Resource and Development Minister Smriti Irani, alleging that she had misled the House with her statement over Hyderabad scholar Rohith Vemula`s suicide.
Also Read: Chidamabaram issue to divert attention from Smriti remarks: Congress
- Congress president Sonia Gandhi will chair a strategy meeting with the senior leaders of the party today ahead of another turbulent Parliament session.
- On Tuesday, former undersecretary for internal security at the Ministry of Home Affairs RVS Mani alleged he was tortured to implicate senior Intelligence Bureau officials in the case to project the encounter killing of Ishrat and other three LeT terrorists in Ahmedabad in 2004 as fake. Mani suggested that Chidambaram was behind the decision to file the second affidavit.
Also Read: Ishrat Jahan case: SIT head burnt me with cigarettes - ex-Home Ministry official's shocking claims
- Earlier, former home secretary GK Pillai had alleged that Chidambaram bypassed him and rewrote the affidavit submitted to the Gujarat High Court on the alleged gunfight in which Ishrat Jahan, a 19-year-old student of Mumbra college, and three others were shot dead on the outskirts of Ahmedabad, Gujarat, in 2004.
Also Read: Ishrat Jahan case: Chidambaram rewrote affidavit, I was bypassed, says GK Pillai
- The Bharatiya Janata Party will likely, Wednesday, rake up the issue of the entire flip-flop the then Congress-led United Progressive Alliance government at the Centre in the Ishrat Jahan shootout case.