I'm a messenger of peace, didn't inspire Dhaka terrorists, says Zakir Naik
Controversial Islamic preacher Zakir Naik, Friday, finally came before the Indian media via a Skype link from Medina in Saudi Arabia.
Mumbai: Controversial Islamic preacher Zakir Naik, Friday, finally came before the Indian media via a Skype link from Medina in Saudi Arabia.
Starting his defence with an Islamic prayer, Naik's first statement was about the Nice terror attack. Condemning it, he said he stands in solidarity with innocent people killed.
Answering a barrage of questions on his views on terrorism, Naik said, “Suicide bombing is not permitted in Islam where innocent people are killed. Suicide bombing where innocents are killed is haraam. But as tactic of war it is permitted say many scholars.”
“My speeches did not inspire any terrorist. It's a media trial that's going on against me,” he added.
- I condemn the terrorist attack in Nice, France. Such attacks should not happen.
- I did not inspire the Dhaka attack terrorists.
- Newspaper which blamed me for Dhaka attack later corrected itself and exonerated me.
- My statements were taken out of context.
- Media for ulterior motives change meaning of my statements. My answers are altered and misguide people. Those who do that should be held responsible.
- Zakir Naik says he has replies to all allegations made on TV, are on pen drives for reporters.
- I condemn all terror attacks anywhere in the world, will speak for hours if needed.
- This is misinformation that I have advocated people to kill.
- I am a messenger of peace.
- Suicide bombing is not permitted in Islam, it is prohibited. It is the second major sin in Islam, it is 'haraam'. I condemn it.
- Suicide bombings are permitted only if used as a tactic of war and have go ahead from leader of the country or army. Even scholars say this.
- Suicide bombings that kill innocent people are not permitted.
- I challenge you (reporters) to show me any unedited recording of my lecture in which I have not condemned suicide bombings that kill innocent people.
- To reporters: Why are you relying on doctored clips?
- Chapter 5, Verse 32 of Quran says killing innocents is crime. No scripture other than Quran says killing one innocent is killing humanity.
- In 2008 Peace TV applied for downlinking permission and the I&B Ministry denied it.
- The only reason I can think of why I&B Ministry has not given permission to Peace TV for downlinking in India is because it is a Muslim channel.
- So far, not a single official Indian government authority has approached me over the last few days. If anyone approaches me, I will answer their questions.
- I will cooperate 100% with any government authority which wants to speak with me.
- I have never encouraged any single person to kill innocent people in my entire life.
- Knowingly I have never met any terrorist, but if some people stand next to me to take photographs, I smile. I don't know who they are.
- I am a messenger of peace. I do not criticise any sect of Islam, I may disagree on interpretations.