Chennai: The Madras High Court on Friday dismissed a PIL seeking the postponement of half yearly examinations for Class X and Class XII students of the CBSE Board on the ground that the academic activities were severely affected by the devastating floods in Chennai city and the resultant holidays in the aftermath of the natural calamity.
According to a ToI report, the PIL was moved by a person called Balasubramaniam, The petitioner had maintained that students of CBSE schools in Chennai and three nearby districts lost about 40 school working days due to heavy floods, and they needed time to prepare for the examinations.
When the matter came up for hearing before the first bench of Chief Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul and Justice Pushpa Sathyanarayana today, Assistant Solicitor-General of India Su Srinivasan informed the court that CBSE schools in the flood-affected regions were conducting classes for additional hours.
Srinivasan further said the national-level examination schedule would go haywire if it were to be tampered with keeping in mind the Chennai situation and the overall interest of all CBSE students in these classes would be adversely affected.
Concurring with his submissions, the bench dismissed the PIL.
However, another petition was submitted by advocate Nasirullah seeking cancellation of half yearly examination for students in the flood-hit areas. Responding to it, Tamil Nadu government pleader STS Moorthy told the bench that examinations had already been deferred till January 2016, and that there was no need to scrap the entire examination schedule.
The bench then dismissed the second petition.