Malda riots: What actually led to communal violence - 10 things to know
Malda: West Bengal's Malda district continued to remain tense on Thursday after a mob reportedly set fire to Kaliachak police station and over a dozen vehicles. Here's what actually led to the communal violence:-
- Tension gripped West Bengal's Malda district on Sunday after a mob torched the entire police station and several vehicles during a protest rally against Akhil Bharatiya Hindu Mahasabha leader Kamlesh Tiwari
- The protest rally was organised by a Muslim organisation - Anjuman Ahle Sunnatul Jamaat (AJS)
- Kamlesh Tiwari had allegedly called Prophet Muhammad the first homosexual in the world. Tiwari's statement came a day after UP Cabinet minister and senior Samajwadi Party leader Azam Khan called RSS members homosexuals.
- BJP is accusing Mamata Banerjee's government of shielding the accused as only 9 out of 130 accused were arrested till Wednesday. Also, 6 of 9 were let off with bail hours after the arrest took place.
- Shamik Bhattacharya, the lone BJP MLA in West Bengal, was detained on Wednesday. He was not allowed to visit Kaliachak village, which had witnessed violence on Sunday.
- The Centre has now sought a report from West Bengal government on the Malda communal violence. Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh is likely to visit West Bengal's Malda district on Jan 18
- A huge amount of public properties were due to mob attack
- Malda district continued to witness violence for the third day
- Section 144 is still imposed in the area since Sunday night
- Additional security forces including RAF jawan have been deployed to control the situation and face any untoward incident
Malda's Kaliachak police station falls in the Muslim-dominated Sujapur area in the district. Also, West Bengal will go to polls this year.
Earlier, around one lakh Muslims on had gathered in UP's Muzaffarnagar, demanding death penalty for Kamlesh Tiwari.
Tiwari is currently behind bars on charges of hate speech.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi