Lucknow: Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Saturday said the Centre was successful in tackling Naxal-related violence in the country and the present situation was the "best" in over a decade-and-a-half.
He also said the Centre was prepared to hold talks with the Naxal outfits if they abjured violence and laid down their arms.
"If you compare with previous years, the situation is under control. We have been successful in controlling the problem and will continue with that. The situation today is best in the past 15-16 years...One can see the statistics," he told reporters here when asked if the Centre has effectively reined in Left Wing Extremism.
"In the past I have said that the government is ready to talk with interested parties, but first they have to leave the path of violence and lay down their weapons," Singh said.
He was responding to a question about the recent Naxal attack in Chhattisgarh's Dantewada district which left seven jawans dead on May 30.
Regarding the delay in formation of BJP-PDP coalition government in Jammu and Kashmir and whether it does not send out a message of "political instability", Rajnath said, "forming a coalition government sometimes take time".
"Every coalition has its own compulsions. You have to create consensus. As far as BJP-PDP coalition government is concerned I am confident that it will prove true to the expectations of the people of the state," he said.
To a query that at a time when all political parties were trying to woo Dalits, would the Centre implement reservation in promotion for them, the Union Minister said BJP does not indulge in politics of caste and religion and was working to build a strong India by taking all sections along.
On Uttar Pradesh government's allegation regarding non-cooperation by the Centre in drought-hit Bundelkhand region, he said every state should first discharge its responsibility.
"Whatever support is required will be given. It had been done so in the past as well. The Centre has hiked states' share in central taxes from 32 per cent to 42 per cent, which in itself is a historic step. The allegation of non-cooperation is baseless," he said.
Earlier, at an awareness programme for Pradhan Mantri Fasal Beeema Yojna, he said the government was working for the betterment of farmers and efforts were underway to help them double their income.