Assembly Election Results 2017

Nearly 4000 Indians still stranded in Yemen, 400 have been evacuated: MEA

Continuing the evacuation process in crisis-stricken Yemen, Ministry of External Affairs on Monday said that efforts are being made for safe return of around 4000 Indian nationals still stranded in the conflict zone.

By Tarun Khanna | Updated: Mar 30, 2015, 23:57 PM IST

New Delhi: Continuing the evacuation process in crisis-stricken Yemen, Ministry of External Affairs on Monday said that efforts are being made for safe return of around 4000 Indian nationals still stranded in the conflict zone.

“We have previously made three announcements requesting Indian nationals to leave Yemen as soon as possible. However, approximately 4000 Indian nationals remain in conflict zone. As government we have launched national endeavour to ensure their safe return,” MEA spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin was quoted as saying by ANI.

Talking about the evacuation process, Akbaruddin said that 400 Indian nationals have been evacuated from Aden by sea route.

“We are utilising the services of a local ship which will move the Indian nationals. Meanwhile, 400 Indians have been evacuated from Aden,” said Akabaruddin.

He further added, “We will bring back our nationals from Djibouti and Air India flights in Muscat will be used. Besides this, INS Sumitra's services will be used for Indians who will be evacuated by sea. All our nationals remain safe while we make arrangements for their return back home.”  

Yesterday External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj took to Twitter and said, “ We are doing everything to evacuate our people from Yemen at the earliest by all routes - land, sea and air.”

(With ANI inputs)