New Delhi: In what may put to rest all doubts over the first phase of National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) scheduled for May 1, the Supreme Court on Friday refused to entertain the Central government's plea seeking to delay the holding of the test.
Refusing to hear the Centre's plea, the court said it will not pass any further order on NEET.
On Thursday, the apex court had paved the way for holding of NEET this year and cleared the schedule proposed by the Centre, the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) and the Medical Council of India (MCI).
The court said it will not stay the first phase of the NEET due to be held on May 1 in place of the scheduled All India Pre-Medical Test (AIPMT).
"We have passed our order. Let the exams go on," the court said.
“The entrance exams for MBBS and BDS courses through NEET will go on as per the schedule,” it stated.
“We are not going to have the bench to hear the matter today. It will be heard in due course after the parties file applications seeking modification of its order,” the court added.
The Centre had earlier in the day approached the apex court seeking deferment in the first phase of examination.
The Attorney General asked the court to reconsider its order approving to conduct the first phase of NEET on May 1.
The AG had also requested the court to allow for the holding of NEET in one phase instead of two phases, on July 24 so as to give time to students.
The AG had further urged the Supreme Court not to scrap state medical exams.
NEET, a single common entrance test for medical courses including MBBS, BDS and PG courses, will be applicable to all medical colleges, including government and private.
As per the proposal approved yesterday, NEET will be conducted in two phases this year.
The first phase of NEET will be conducted on May 1 instead of the scheduled AIPMT; second phase will be held on July 24.
The proposal says 6.5 lakh candidates can appear in the first phase of NEET while 2.5 lakh candidates can sit for the test in the second phase.
A joint result will be announced on August 17 and the entire admission procedure will be completed by September 30.
The apex court had earlier this month paved the way for holding the NEET when it scrapped its 2013 order to stop the the single common entrance test.