'Nitish Kumar government harassing, torturing Hindus in Bihar following communal tension in Durga Puja'
Patna: The opposition BJP on Tuesday accused the government of Chief Minister Nitish Kumar of harassing and torturing Hindus by taking action against them following communal tension in several districts during Durga Puja.
State BJP President Mangal Pandey said a delegation of the party met Governor Ram Nath Kovind and submitted a memorandum that the state government has targeted Hindus by taking one-sided action against them for communal tension.
Pandey said Hindus were arrested without their involvement in any crime during the communal tension.
"We have told the Governor that police and administration have been taking one-sided action against Hindus and requested him to intervene," Pandey told media persons here.
Leader of Opposition Prem Kumar said the state government has targeted people from majority community to appease another community.
"Police have arrested such leaders and workers of RSS, VHP, Bajrang Dal who were not present in their area during communal trouble," Kumar, a senior BJP leader, said.
The communal tension were reported in several districts in Bihar following violent clashes during the immersion of Durga idols and Tazia processions last week.
In view of tension, internet services were suspended and authorities invoked Section 144 of CrPC, banning gathering of five or more people, in some districts. More than 200 people were arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur