New Delhi: Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar on Thursday told Parliament that there was no incursion by the Chinese troops along the Uttarakhand border earlier this month.
Responding to the Opposition's claim that the incursion took place near Chamoli and the Chinese troops had come around 200 metres into the Indian territory, Parrikar said there was no incursion and only transgression.
“India-China border has not been formally demarcated. There are areas where both the sides have different perceptions of LAC (Line of Actual Control),” said Parrikar.
“Barahoti (Uttarakhand) is one such area. There was no incursion, just transgression which has been settled,” added Parrikar in Lok Sabha.
There is a well-defined mechanism to settle such transgressions, said the Defence Minister.
The Uttarakhand government had on Wednesday said that the Chinese troops had been spotted in Barahoti in Chamoli district on July 19 by local officials who were asked to return. Army sources had said the incident took place on July 22.
Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat had also confirmed the incursion, saying he had reported the matter to the Union Home Ministry.
The Defence Ministry, however, maintained that there are no incidents of "incursion" by the Chinese troops and the "transgressions" occur due to the different perception of borders.
Uttarakhand shares a 350-km-long boundary with China and incursions have been reported in the past too. Only last year some boys grazing cattle were beaten up by the Chinese troops and asked to retreat.
Sources said the administration sends teams to Badahoti, which lies in very tough terrain over 100 km from Joshimath, thrice a year -- twice in summer and once in winter.
The area can only be reached on foot.