No link between Saradha scam, Burdwan blasts, says govt; TMC hits back, demands apology

In an embarrassment for the BJP, the Narendra Modi government has contradicted party president Amit Shah on his claim that Saradha scam money was used for the Burdwan blast.

Last Updated: Dec 03, 2014, 23:11 PM IST

New Delhi: In an embarrassment for the BJP, the Narendra Modi government has contradicted party president Amit Shah on his claim that Saradha scam money was used for the Burdwan blast.

In a written statement in the Lok Sabha, Dr Jitendra Singh, MoS in PMO, said on Wednesday that the probe probe has far not found any link to suggest that Saradha scam money was routed to Bangladesh.

“So far, investigation into Saradha chit fund scam don't show its money is routed to Bangladesh to fund terror activities,” Singh said.

The Minister was asked whether the government has sought details of the probe into the Saradha chit fund scam after reports indicated that a part of the money was routed to Bangladesh to fund terror activities. Singh replied that government has not sought details of the probe.

To another question on whether the Saradha chief has admitted that he paid large sums to several people to influence the case in his favour, the minister today said "the matter is under investigation."

However, after the matter triggered a controversy, Singh issued a clarification, saying that no clean chit has been given to anybody.

“Nowhere a clean chit is given by anybody as the last sentence reads, matter still under investigation,” Singh said.

Last week, Amit Shah, while addressing a rally in Kolkata, had said that reports suggest that Saradha money was used for the Burdwan blasts.

Expectedly, the TMC has hit out at the BJP and demanded an apology from Amit Shah.

“He is dangabaaz...Amit Shah is a bogus person. He is famous criminal in Gujarat, he speaks lies,” said TMC MP Kalyan Banerjee.

Banerjee's party colleague and fellow MP, Sudip Bandyopadhyay said, “Amit Shah is an uniformed person, he should have been more cautious. Now he should apologise for the comments.”

However, the BJP is staunchly defending the party president. Party spokesperson Siddharth Nath Singh said, “There is no embarrassment (over the issue). Claims (by Shah) were made on the basis of newspaper reports.”

The Left has its own take on the matter. Senior CPI(M) leader and MP Sitaram Yechury said the developments suggest that some deal is going on between the BJP and the TMC.