No NSCN-IM cadre to be recruited in BSF: Govt
Last year, the NSCN-IM signed an agreement with the government which PM Modi described as a "historic" step to usher in peace in the state.
New Delhi: The government on Thursday dismissed the suggestion that 5,000 cadres of Naga militant group NSCN-IM would be inducted into Border Security Force (BSF).
A Home Ministry spokesperson said there have been reports that interlocutor for Naga talks R N Ravi had assured NSCN-IM general secretary Thuingaleng Muivah that about 5,000 cadres of the militant group would be drafted into BSF as part of the rehabilitation process.
"It is clarified that these reports are false and have no basis," the spokesperson said.
Ravi is at present holding peace parleys with NSCN-IM, led by Muivah.
In August last year, the NSCN-IM signed a framework agreement with the government which Prime Minister Narendra Modi described as a "historic" step to usher in peace in the state.
The pact was signed by Muivah and Ravi in the presence of the Prime Minister, Home Minister Rajnath Singh and National Security Adviser Ajit Doval at Modi's residence here.
The signing of the agreement came after over 80 rounds of negotiations that spanned 18 years with first breakthrough in 1997 when the ceasefire agreement was sealed.