'Over 82% domestic violence victims in Bihar not satisfied with redress services'
New Delhi/Patna: Over 82 per cent victims of domestic violence in Bihar remain dissatisfied with redress services provided by relevant institutions such as helplines, police stations, NGOs in the state, a study has found.
The study conducted by CARE India in partnership with Mahila Jagran Kendra (MJK) and released here today also reveals only 67 per cent Protection Officers and 42 per cent police stations in Bihar register complaints.
The study covered both rural and urban areas from nine districts of nine commissionaries in Bihar and the survivors were randomly selected from different socio-economic backgrounds.
The study report highlighted the gap and quality of services being rendered by state-facilitated support institutions and stakeholders and the experience of the survivors in accessing justice under the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence (PWDV) Act.
All survivors who were interviewed said lack of knowledge about various provision of the Act made them run from one institution to another for relief.
Further, they claimed when sent to Short Stay Homes, services for protection and care for their children get compromised.
"This study will benefit peer NGOs, government agencies, as well as implementing agencies in increasing their knowledge and understanding the serious gaps that need to be addressed and challenges that affect the lives of survivors of domestic violence," Dr Senthil Kumar, Executive Director, Programming Operations Quality and Learning, CARE India said.
"Studies like this are aimed at generating awareness about the PWDV Act and sensitizing the stakeholders on issue of domestic violence. This study is expected to be a step forward in increasing interest and awareness on towards further research on women's issues," said Neelu, Chairperson, Mahila Jagran Kendra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened