Pakistan's ISI, LeT worked in close nexus to carry out 26/11 attacks: 10 big revelations by David Headley
David Headley said two attempts were made to attack Mumbai prior to 26/11. First attempt was made in Sept 2008 but boat hit rocks in the ocean.
New Delhi: Pakistani-American Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorist David Headley made sensational revelations while deposing before a special TADA court in Mumbai on Monday.
Headley, who was pardoned by the court after he agreed to turn approver in connection with the 26/11 trials, testified in court via video conferencing.
The prosecution team was headed Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam and well known criminal lawyer Mahesh Jethmalani represented Headley before the special TADA court.
The prosecution team put up about 40 questions before Headley during the course of deposition.
Top 10 revelations made by David Headly:
1. Headley identified Hafiz Saeed , when shown his photo in the court. Headley met Hafiz Saeed during a training camp in Pakistan's Muzaffarabad in 2002. He said Hafiz Saeed inspired me to join LeT and I did Lashkar's work on his directions. I learnt how to fire from AK-47 rifle, bomb explosion and other arms trainings in the camp. Wanted to fight Indian forces in Kashmir but was denied Kashmir assignment due to my age.
2. Two attempts were made to attack Mumbai prior to 26/11. First attempt was made in Sept 2008 but boat hit rocks in the ocean, weapons and explosives were lost but those on board survived. Second attempt to attack Mumbai made in October 2008, those involved in first attempt were involved in this as well, but attack failed. Third and final attack on Mumbai was successful (26/11).
3. Became David Coleman Headley from Daood Sayed Gilani to enter India on my LeT handler Sajid Mir's suggestion.
4. Dr Tahawwur Hussain Rana helped me to get Indian visa. I met him in a military school in Punjab province. Dr Tahawwur Hussain Rana was my schoolmate for 5 years. After school, Rana became a doctor in Pakistan Army in Rawalpindi.
5. All details except place of birth, date of birth, mother's nationality and passport number, were incorrect in my visa application.
6. After receiving new passport I visited India 8 times, out of 8 times I visited Mumbai 7 times. I also visited India after 26/11 attack on 7th March 2009 from Lahore to Delhi.
7. I and retired major Abdur Rehman Pasha were arrested in Landi Kotal near Pak-Afghan border because I looked like a foreigner. During my arrest, Major Ali came to interrogate me and I was having some Indian literature in my possession.
8. During interrogation I gave information to Major Ali that I’m holding a business office in India. Major Ali thought that I will be beneficial for gathering intelligence from India. He later introduced me to Major Iqbal of Pakistan ISI.
9. Sajid Mir (LeT Operative) was using the email ID email@example.com to communicate.
10. Pakistan's ISI and LeT worked in close nexus to carry out 26/11 Mumbai attacks.