Srinagar: The 56-hour gunbattle between security forces and militants ended on Wednesday.
The militants were holed up in a government building at Pampore on the Srinagar-Jammu National Highway. Both the hiding there hiding there have been shot dead by brave jawans.
Here is what happened in the 56-hour gunbattle between security forces and militants
- While one militant was killed Tuesday evening, the other militant was shot dead by the security forces on Wednesday
- Security forces pounded the EDI building since Monday after the militants barged inside the complex with the aim of engaging the law enforcing agencies
- The operation, which lasted more than 56 hours, has reduced the multi-storey building to a skeleton after many of its walls were blown up
- Elite Para commandos of the army were also called in to neutralise the militants
- The militants had stormed into the EDI complex in the wee hours of Monday and took positions inside one of the buildings
- As there were reports of two to three militants present in the Entrepreneurship Development Institute (EDI) complex, the security forces had to search all the 50 rooms of the building before calling off the operation
Other key details
- Bodies of two militants have been recovered
- Prima facie there were indications that they belonged to Lashkar-e-Toiba