Port Louis: Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who is in Mauritius, on the second leg of his three-nation tour that will take him next to Sri Lanka, addressed the National Assembly of Mauritius on Thursday. PM Modi's first stop was Seychelles.
Here are the Live updates:
- PM Narendra Modi concludes his speech at the Mauritius National Assembly.
- This relationship of two countries will always be a source of joy and great strength: PM
- We are pleased to have your friendship: PM Narendra Modi
- If there is one country which has a claim on us it is Mauritius: PM Modi at the National Assembly
- We will do nothing which could affect the vibrant banking sector in Mauritius, says PM Modi
- We will deepen our co-operation & do everything we can to strengthen your capabilities: PM
- We can together pursue our dreams of a sustainable and prosper future: PM Modi
- Proudly flying the flag of Mauritius, Barracuda will sail as a symbol of our partnership: PM
- All nations in our region should come together to shoulder our shared responsibility: PM Modi
- For India & Mauritius, our destinies are linked by currents of the Indian Ocean: PM Modi
- We will work together to avoid abuse of India-Mauritius double taxation treaty, says PM Modi.
- Our partnership must cover the challenges of climate change: PM
- Mauritius has been a leading international voice on climate change: PM
- I can assure you that as always we will be with you – in support of your efforts and in joy for your success: PM
- I'm confident that under leadership of PM Jugnauth development in Mauritius will become more impressive: PM Modi
- Yesterday I told PM Jugnauth that we understand the importance of offshore banking sector for your economy: PM Modi
- In both Parliaments (India and Mauritius) I have honour to say Madam Speaker: PM
- We speak in one voice on cause of developing world: PM Modi
- Democratic changes make no difference to the scent of our relationship: PM Modi
- Last year we had democratic transition in both countries: PM Modi
- I feel honoured to announce a second cyber city in Mauritius: PM
- Former Prime Minister Vajpayee had supported the construction of the first cyber city in Mauritius in 2003: PM Modi
- I have always marvelled at how Mauritius has made smart choices & encouraged hard work and enterprise: PM Modi
- We are related to each other on our shared democratic values: PM Modi
- This morning I went to Ganga Talao. I felt a personal connection that comes from the banks of Ganga in my constituency - Varanasi: PM Modi
- On Independence day we not only celebrate freedom but also remember struggle that gave birth to freedom: PM
- I stand here today not just in celebration of our relationship, but also in admiration of your achievements: PM Modi
- Mauritius has stood as a bright beacon of democracy:
- In Mauritius, though, the hopes and promises of independence have become brighter by the passing day: PM
- Your national day honours that spirit: PM
- On this day 1930 Mahatma Gandhi started Dandi March: PM.
- Today is also special day in history of India’s freedom struggle,on this day in 1930 Gandhiji began his march: PM
- To be here with you in this Assembly on your National Day is a blessed moment for me: PM
- Greetings on the Independence Day of Mauritius: PM
- PM Modi begins his speech at the Mauritius National Assembly
- PM Narendra Modi arrives at National Assembly of Mauritius
- In this way, Mauritius has done immense service towards Hindi literature: PM
- When a man speaks in his native language, the words do not come out of his mouth but his heart: PM
- Our forefathers brought Hindi to this land: PM
- We can imagine that nearly 150 years back our ancestors had come here as labourers: PM Modi
- Mauritius is one nation which has its own its own Hindi literature: PM Modi
- The love an acceptance that the Hindi language has received in Mauritius is an example in itself:
- Maybe I was destined to take this move forward and now I don’t want any delay: PM
- In 1975 the thought to have an international Hindi Secretariat was accepted, but it took years for it to be implemented: PM Modi
- In our fight for independence, we also fought for the right to protect our languages: Aneerood Jugnauth, PM Mauritius
- PM Modi participates in Joint Commissioning of Indian-built Offshore Patrol Vessel Barracuda
- PM Narendra Modi offers prayers at Ganga Talao, Mauritius, reports ANI
- PM Narendra Modi arrives at Ganga Talao site of Mauritius, will take a tour and offer prayers, reports ANI
- MEA spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin took to twitter to announce the schedule of PM Modi's address to the National Assembly of Mauritius.
— Syed Akbaruddin (@MEAIndia) March 12, 2015
- PM Modi extends National Day greetings to the citizens of Mauritius.
National Day greetings to the citizens of Mauritius. Am very glad that I am able to mark this special occasion with the people of Mauritius.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) March 12, 2015
- PM Modi pays tribute to patriots who participated in Dandi March led by Mahatma Gandhi.
Dandi March remains a watershed moment in our history. Tributes to all patriots who joined the March, inspired by Gandhi ji's leadership.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) March 12, 2015
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will on Thursday address the Mauritian Parliament. He will also take part in the celebrations to mark the Mauritius National Day today.
"I am grateful to you and the people of Mauritius for the invitation as the Chief Guest of the National Day tomorrow," the PM said yesterday.
- On Wednesday, India offered USD 500 million concessional line of credit to Mauritius for key infrastructure projects. The two nations also signed five agreements, including on ocean economy.
"I was pleased to offer a concessional line of credit of USD 500 million for civil infrastructure projects for Mauritius. We intend to quickly build the petroleum storage and bunkering facility in Mauritius," Prime Minister Modi said at the signing of the pacts following talks with his Mauritian counterpart Anerood Jugnauth.
"I consider our security cooperation to be a cornerstone of our strategic partnership. Our agreement on cooperation in Ocean Economy is an important step in deepening our scientific and economic partnership," he said.
Mauritius, in turn, offered India cooperation on information exchange on taxation.
"I also conveyed our deep appreciation for the support and cooperation offered by Mauritius on information exchange on taxation," Modi said.
During talks with Modi, Mauritian Premier Jugnauth raised the issue related to Mauritius-India Double Taxation Avoidance Treaty. "I have requested PM Modi to give his full support on DTAA as it is of prime importance to global business sector," he said at the signing of the agreements.
The India-Mauritius Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) is being revised amid concerns that Mauritius is being used for round-tripping of funds into India even though that country has always maintained that there have been no concrete evidence of any such misuse.
Traditionally, Mauritius has been one of the biggest sources of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) into India.
The five pacts signed included a MoU between the two countries in the field of 'Ocean Economy' which will provide an extensive framework for cooperation, a novel and critical area of sustainable development in the Indian Ocean Region.
The other agreements signed were a MoU for the improvement in sea and air transportation facilities at Agalega Island of Mauritius, MoU on cooperation in the field of traditional system of medicine and homoeopathy, programme for cultural cooperation between 2015-18 and a pact on import of fresh mango from India.
India also offered to establish a second cyber city in Mauritius after it helped the island set up the first one a decade ago.
The two Prime Ministers also discussed ways to combat climate change.