Ufa: The 15th Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) Summit opened on Friday at Ufa in Russia. India and Pakistan have been included in the bloc. Addressing the meeting, hosted by Russian President Vladimir Putin and attended by Chinese President Xi Jinping and other SCO leaders, Prime Minister Narendra Modi congratulated Pakistan for joining the group. Here are the key points he made:
- India and Pakistan have been included in the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) bloc.
- PM Narendra Modi concludes his speech.
- SCO is an important part of our vision. I assure you of India's full cooperation to SCO: PM Modi
- I also take this opportunity to congratulate Pakistan on joining the SCO: PM
- We will work with the SCO to combat terrorism and extremism: PM Modi
- The future of prosperity rests on the foundation of peace. India will contribute to advancing peace and friendship in the region, says the PM.
- India will deepen its engagement with the SCO in areas like Human Resource Development, Information and communications technology, pharmaceuticals and healthcare, banking and capital markets, Micro Small and Medium Enterprises, micro finance, food security and agriculture: PM
- Promoting deeper understanding and exchanges, especially among our youth, will promote greater unity in the region and beyond: PM
- Assuring India's full cooperation to the SCO, Modi said: “For the past few centuries, we have all looked away from the centre of this great landmass, towards the sea and other regions. The time has come reach out to each other across the region."
- We will support efforts to create an environment that eases barriers and facilitates trade and investments in the region: PM
- India will be pleased to contribute to the development of infrastructure in the region, says the PM
- India has been an actively participating in SCO activities that are open to Observers. We have deeply valued our association with SCO, says PM Modi.
- Our membership of SCO is a natural extension of these relationships and mirrors the region’s place in India’s future: PM Modi
- Our strategic ties with Russia and China are deep: PM PM Narendra Modi at the SCO Summit
- Our ties with Central Asia are very old.
- Observing that the SCO region is characterised by a rich diversity of cultures, Modi said: “Our association with SCO will seek to advance our shared vision to reconnect and integrate Eurasia’s different regions.”
- I express gratitude for granting India full membership of the organisation.
- I thank you for inviting India to SCO Heads of State Council Plenary Session.
Founded in 2001, the SCO has China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan as its full members. Afghanistan, India, Iran, Mongolia and Pakistan are observers while Belarus, Turkey and Sri Lanka are dialogue partners.