Hyderabad: There seems to be no end in sight to politics over Hyderabad University's Dalit research scholar Rohith Vemula's suicide.
The varsity campus on Friday midnight witnessed drama after Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi reached the university and participated in a candle light march by the students to mark the birth anniversary of Rohith Vemula.
Here are 10 latest developments:-
- Rahul Gandhi, who landed at Hyderabad airport around midnight, drove straight to the university to express solidarity with the students protesting over the suicide; this is Rahul's second visit to Hyderabad since Vemula was found hanging in the varsity's hostel room.
- Immediately after reaching the shopping complex where students were staging the protest for the last 12 days, Rahul paid tributes to Rohith at the memorial constructed by the students. He then sat with Rohith's mother, brother and other students.
- Just hours before Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi's visit and amid continuing protests, the interim Vice Chancellor of the university Vipin Srivastava went on leave.
- Reportedly, the next seniormost professor, AM Periasamy, will perform the duties of the vice chancellor of the university till further orders.
- At least 50 Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) activists were detained by the local police for protesting against Rahul Gandhi's visit
- The protesting students have will launch a mass hunger strike to seek justice for Rohith Vemula; the strike will begin on Saturday at 6 AM
- Rahul Gandhi will address the protesting students prior to launch of mass hunger strike on Saturday morning
- Saturday will mark the birth anniversary of Rohith Vemula
- The protesting students are demanding dismissal of university's V-C Apparao Podile
- Rohith's mother had also join the midnight candlelight protest