Saudi Arabian diplomat accused of raping two Nepalese women leaves India: MEA
The Saudi Arabian diplomat, accused of allegedly raping two Nepalese women left India Wednesday night, Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) confirmed.
New Delhi: The Saudi Arabian diplomat, accused of allegedly raping two Nepalese women left India Wednesday night, Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) confirmed.
We have learnt that the first secretary Majed Hassan Ashoor who was allegedly accused of raping two Nepalese women has left India," spokesperson in External Affairs Ministry Vikas Swaroop said.
"The first secretary being a diplomat is governed by the provision of the Vienna convention on diplomatic relations," Swaroop added.
According to a police complaint filed last week, two Nepalese women alleged that they were raped by a Saudi diplomat and also by his friends and guests. They also alleged that his wife and daughter harassed them and beat them.
Two medical reports of the two women, one in her 20s, and the other said to be in her late 40s, have confirmed rape.
The Saudi Embassy has termed the allegations as "false" and said it has protested police "intrusion" into a diplomat's house against "all diplomatic conventions".
The External Affairs Ministry had called in Saudi Arabian Ambassador Saud Mohammed Alsati last Thursday and told him that the accused diplomat should cooperate in the probe into the case.
But it did not get any response despite being in touch with the mission officials here for at least a week, sources said.
There were also reports that NSA Ajit Doval had a hand in resolving the issue without damaging the bilateral ties.
The Congress party had demanded that the government take up the issue with the Saudi Arabian government so that the diplomat is removed from his post and action taken as per law.