New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday ruled that Aadhar card is not mandatory for the citizens.
Here are five important things you should know:
- A Constitution Bench of the Supreme Court ruled today that the citizens of India are not mandatorily required to have Aadhar card. The court has even instructed the Central government to publicise the decision widely.
- The court ruled that Aadhar card will remain optional for availing various welfare schemes of the government.
- However, Aadhar card will continue to be required for PDS and LPG distribution system.
- The court also directed the authorities to ensure that no personal information of Aadhar card holders is shared.
- The court has allowed the use of details of Aadhar card holders for criminal investigations.