Delhi: Union Minister of Road Transport Nitin Gadkari said on Thursday that toll suspension had been extended till 24th November midnight across all National Highways.
Toll suspension is extended till 24th November midnight across all National Highways
— Nitin Gadkari (@nitin_gadkari) November 17, 2016
Earlier, he had announced that it had been extended till 18th November midnight.
At the same time, with government's decision to stop toll collection, NHAI had proposed on November 15 to compensate up to 75 percent of the losses due to the move resulting from demonetisation.
"On an average daily toll collection is around Rs 60-75 crore across the country so the loss they are facing is to that extent. We have proposed that we will make interim relief to these concessionaires by paying nearly 75 percent of the losses to ease their cash flow," NHAI Chairman Raghav Chandra had told reporters.
He had said some of the tolls were publicly funded while others are private tolls.
"There are around 100 tolls which are publicly funded and around 265 private tolls. But these 100 have also been given on contract to private operators. So to ensure that these also don't face cash flow problem because of the decision, we have decided to provide the relief even to these tolls," he had said.
Chandra had further said, "We have insisted that this move is necessary for the concessionaires so that they don't face huge licenses and they will be able to support the government's demonetisation plans."