Delhi: Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar said on Wednesday that things could have gone wrong as far as Uri terror attack was concerned.
"Something may have gone wrong there. It is a sensitive matter. I believe in zero error," he said.
"As a nation should ensure this is not repeated again and again. I will take steps to ensure it doesn't go wrong again. I normally prefer to implement things than talk," Parrikar added.
At the same time, he maintained, "Not saying specifically on this incident, but if I want I can have a knee-jerk reaction."
"PM's statement that those behind Uri attack will not go unpunished, will not remain a statement. We are serious about it," he pointed out.
18 soldiers were killed and dozens others injured after four militants had attacked Army base.
All four terrorists were neutralised by the Army.
Army intensifies combing operations in Uri, Nowgam sectors
Meanwhile, despite inclement weather, Army today carried out intense combing-cum-search operations in Uri and Naugam sectors along the Line of Control in Kashmir where alert troops foiled two infiltration bids but have so far drawn a blank in retrieving bodies of the slain militants.
Army personnel continued their search operations in the higher reaches of Uri and Naugam sectors of Baramulla and Tangdhar districts respectively but have not managed to reach the spot where the bodies were supposed to be lying.
The bodies lay very close to the LoC and there was a possibility of the jawans coming under fire from across the border, official sources said, as per PTI.
The Army personnel were maintaining a tight vigil to foil any fresh attempts by militants to sneak in through these sectors by breaking the security cordon or inflicting casualties on the troops.
One soldier was killed yesterday as Army foiled two infiltration bids in the two sectors of Kashmir.
While bodies of militants have been spotted nearly 300 metres short of the LoC, a search is on in neighbouring areas to find out if there are more casualties on ultras' side, the sources said.
Army officials in New Delhi yesterday had claimed that 15 terrorists had attempted to cross the LoC.
(With Agency inputs)