US welcomes lifting of restrictions on NGOs by India
Washington: The United States has welcomed the Indian government's recent decision to lift the restrictions from some NGOs, saying the move will strengthen civil society in the country.
"We certainly would welcome and do welcome any actions by government that support and strengthen civil society. I'd refer you to the Government of India with respect to any specific actions that have been taken regarding the NGOs in India," State Department Deputy Spokesman Mark Toner said yesterday.
"But we want to see a strong, healthy civil society throughout the world. And that certainly extends to India, which is a strong democracy," he said.
"We believe that a strong and vibrant civil society only strengthens that democracy," he added.
Toner said the US supports the very good work of many of these NGOs that they play in strengthening civil society. But it is a for the Government of India to work with them with regard to taxes and other regulations that the NGOs need to comply with on ground.
"We are very clear not just with respect to India, but with many countries around the world, about our support for NGOs and the important role that they play in any democratic society."
"And in so far as we push for a more welcoming environment for these NGOs to work in, that's just the way we work," the deputy spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM