New Delhi: In the latest on the unfortunate accident involving a torpedo recovery vessel of the Indian navy which left one dead and four missing, Chief of Naval Staff Admiral RK Dhowan said, Monday, the search operation are still continuing for the missing sailors.
The Navy Chief said search operations are still continuing; as per the procedure, they will continue for seven days.
“It is an unfortunate incident, being taken very seriously. There was flooding in the compartments and the ship sank,” he said.
“Reason as to why flooding could not be controlled is a cause for serious concern and it will be investigated thoroughly,” he said.
The four missing persons include an officer. The torpedo recovery vessel (TRV A-72) sank off the Visakhapatnam coast last Thursday evening.
A board of inquiry headed by a captain has been constituted to investigate the circumstances leading to the accident.
As per the initial reports, the probable reason for the sinking of the vessel seems to be ingress of sea water (flooding) in the engine room and aft steering compartment of the vessel.
Sources said the likely cause was "material failure".
The vessel, used to recover practice torpedoes fired by fleet ships and submarines, was built by Goa Shipyard Limited in 1983.
The navy has witnessed a series of accidents over the past year. Earlier this year, then navy chief Admiral DK Joshi resigned taking moral responsibility for "the accidents and incidents".
With agency inputs