Western Naval Command's INS Angre turns 64
Indian Naval Ship Angre, a naval establishment here, which currently functions as the main 'base and depot' establishment for the Western Naval Command, celebrated its 64th anniversary today.
Mumbai: Indian Naval Ship Angre, a naval establishment here, which currently functions as the main 'base and depot' establishment for the Western Naval Command, celebrated its 64th anniversary today.
Navy officers and civilians, who worked together at the establishment, celebrated the day in naval style, after the statue of Maratha navy's founder admiral Kanhoji Angre, was garlanded by Rear Admiral S P Lal, VSM, Admiral Superintendent of Naval Dockyard (Mumbai), according to an official release issued here.
A 'badakhana' and a variety entertainment programmes were also organised as part of the celebrations, the release said.
The history of the port city of Mumbai and INS Angre are closely linked. It was here that the potential of erstwhile Bombay as a port city was first recognised by the British colonial administration.
Though it was only in 1940 that Castle Barracks were commissioned as HMIS Dalhousie and declared as a complete naval station, the Bombay Castle (as INS Angre was once called) has an even older history.
In 1543, the Sultan of Gujarat ceded the island of Bombay to the Portuguese, who built a fort on the island. However, most of the village of Bombay was leased to the famous Portuguese botanist physician, Gracia da Orta whose Manor House is still visible in parts.
Later, Manor House played an important role in the history of Bombay city. It was here that the treaty of cessation was signed on February 18, 1665, between Humphrey Cooke and the Portuguese, handing over Bombay to King Charles II of England as part of the dowry to be received by him after his marriage to princess Catherine Braganza of Portugal.
When Manor House had belonged to the Portuguese, it had braved attacks by Dutch, English and Arab forces.
After the British East India Company took charge of Bombay Castle in 1668, they enlarged and fortified it further, until it become the headquarters of the East India Company in 1686.