Will launch nationwide movement if govt not serious on black money issue: Baba Ramdev

Yoga guru Baba Ramdev said on Wednesday that they would launch a nationwide movement if they find that the BJP-led government at the Centre was not serious on the issue of black money.

Last Updated: Oct 30, 2014, 00:23 AM IST
Will launch nationwide movement if govt not serious on black money issue: Baba Ramdev

New Delhi: Yoga guru Baba Ramdev said on Wednesday that they would launch a nationwide movement if they find that the BJP-led government at the Centre was not serious on the issue of black money.

He also said that he had complete trust on the intentions of Modi government but if they were found slack, he would be back on the streets with his team.

However, the Yoga guru added that Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Union Finance Minster Arun Jaitley were honest, brave and competent and would act strongly against black money account holders.

At the same time he appreciated the efforts made by the NDA government and said, “Government has submitted details of 627 suspicious foreign accounts to Supreme Court. It's a landmark day for Bharat swabhiman's movement against black money,” adding, “Though some delay in getting black money should be tightened, right steps against black money holders by Modi government are appreciated.”

Ramdev posted the following on the micro-blogging site Twitter:

Complying with its directions, the Centre today gave to the Supreme Court a list of 627 Indians who have accounts in HSBC bank, Geneva, in which tax probe for suspected black money has to be completed by March next year.

The documents containing correspondence with French authorities, names of the account holders and the status report of the probe conducted so far in black money cases were submitted in separate sealed covers by the Attorney General which the apex court did not open.

Instead, the Court said the envelopes would be opened by Chairman MB Shah and Vice Chairman Arijit Pasayat, both former judges of the Supreme Court, who are part of the court-appointed Special Investigation Team, and decide on future course of action.

The Centre submitted that almost half of the account holders are resident Indians who could be prosecuted under the Income Tax laws and rest of them are NRIs.

Appearing before a bench headed by Chief Justice H L Dattu, Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi said that some of the account holders have already admitted to having accounts and having paid taxes.

Rohatgi said that details of account holders are of 2006 which were supplied by the French government to the Centre in 2011. Most transactions in those accounts took place during 1999 and 2000 and the last date for completion and assessment in all these cases is March 31, 2015.

He said the IT Act has been amended. Instead of six years, now the prosecution for tax evasion can be initiated upto 16 years of commission of the offence, he said.

With PTI inputs