New Delhi: With an aim to boost BJP's prospects in the upcoming Assam Assembly elections, the party has forged an alliance with Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) to jointly contest the upcoming polls.
The development came after PM Narendra Modi launched BJP's election campaign from Kokrajhar in January by announcing a slew of initiatives, including tribal status to two communities. It seems the strategy carved out by PM Modi and Amit Shah is yielding good results.
Here are five reasons why this time BJP may score big in the Assam Assembly elections:-
Alliance with Asom Gana Parishad (AGP)
- BJP broadened alliance by tying up with Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) too. Reportedly, BJP's top brass was already in touch with the AGP high command including ex-CM of Assam Prafulla Mahanta. Notably, AGP and BJP had fought the 2009 Parliamentary elections together.
BJP's new ally Bodoland People's Front
- PM Modi had kick started the poll campaign with its new ally Bodoland People's Front (BPF). The BPF is believed to have strong presence in Kokrajhar and its neighbouring areas. The party has been in power in Bodoland Territorial Council since its inception in 2003. Hence, with this new alliance partner, BJP's prospects of coming to power have been enhanced.
- Considering how 2014 Lok Sabha polls witnessed 'Modi wave' that helped BJP bagging seven of the state's 14 LS seats, while AGP drew a blank, this time the saffron party may secure enough seats in Assam.
Tribal status to two communities
- PM Modi had announced that the people of Karbi community living in the plains of Assam and Bodos living in hill areas would be granted tribal status and the process has already started. This is also likely to boost winning prospects.
Recruitment of Northeast youths in Delhi Police
- The Prime Minister had said that he had instructed that youths from the Northeast should be recruited in the Delhi Police and the process has already started. With this move, BJP may woo Northeast youths.
Election to Assam's 126-member Assembly is expected to be held in April-May along with four other states.