Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi's men training 60 youth for 'special operations'
Intelligence agencies have found evidence that Lashkar-e-Toiba commander Zaki-ur Rehman Lakhvi's men are planning a major operation in India, sources told Zee Media on Wednesday.
New Delhi: Intelligence agencies have found evidence that Lashkar-e-Toiba commander Zaki-ur Rehman Lakhvi's men are planning a major operation in India, sources told Zee Media on Wednesday.
The LeT is said to be running 42 terror training camps in PoK where 60 men are being trained for special operations, sources added.
Lakhvi is currently under detention over his involvement in the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks and other cases. The LeT's operation commander is also a designated international terrorist by the United Nations.
Last week, a Pakistani court had declared the detention orders of Lakhvi as illegal and ordered his immediate release.
However, following a strong reaction from India, which summoned the Pakistani envoy in New Delhi to convey its outrage, and pressure from the US, Islamabad extended his detention by one more month over other charges.
The report on intelligence input on LeT's plans came a day after US said that it has shared “credible evidence” with Pakistan on Lakhvi’s involvement in the 2008 Mumbai terror attack.
“The US has provided credible evidence (on Lakhvi) to Pakistan,” a senior US official told a news channel.
The official refused to give any further details and said this was an ongoing legal matter.
But, the information provided by the US to Pakistan on Lakhvi and others related to the Mumbai terrorist attack is credible, the official said.
The detailed information shared by US on individuals related to the Mumbai terrorist attack is based on the interrogation of David Headley, who is currently serving jail sentence for his involvement in the attack, and the information gained from him.
Various security agencies and intelligence wings of the US have done their own investigation with regard to the Mumbai terrorist attack.
Earlier, the US had said there was a strong counter-terrorism cooperation with Pakistan and it hoped that Pakistan would follow through its commitment on bringing to justice the perpetrators of the attacks.
Lakhvi and six others – Abdul Wajid, Mazhar Iqbal, Hamad Amin Sadiq, Shahid Jameel Riaz, Jamil Ahmed and Younis Anjum – have been charged in Pakistan with planning and executing the Mumbai attack in November, 2008, that claimed 166 lives.
55-year-old Lakhvi, believed to be a close relative of LeT founder and Jamat-Ud Dawa (JuD) chief Hafiz Saeed, was arrested in December 2008 and was indicted along with the six others on November 25, 2009 in connection with the 26/11 attacks case.
The trial has been underway since 2009. He has been detained at Adiala jail for the last five years or so.