1 more pilgrim, porter die, Amarnath Yatra toll rises to 32
Srinagar: A 55-year-old pilgrim and a porter died en route to the holy cave shrine of Amarnath in south Kashmir Himalayas, taking the death toll during the ongoing pilgrimage to 32, officials said.
Raj Kishore, a resident of Uttar Pradesh, suffered a massive heart attack after paying obeisance at the cave shrine this morning, resulting in his death, the officials said.
They said his body was brought down to the base camp and handed over to his next of kin for last rites.
A 19-year-old porter identified as Fayaz Ahmad Kasana, a resident of Lar village of Ganderbal, died while leading a batch of pilgrims through Brarimarg Glacier along Baltal-cave route yesterday, the officials said.
The annual yatra commenced from the twin tracks of Baltal in Ganderbal district and traditional Pahalgam in Anantnag district on June 25 and so far over 2.20 lakh pilgrims have visited the shrine for prayers.
A total of 2,10,524 pilgrims offered their prayers to the naturally formed ice-shivlingam by late last evening, while over 10,000 more paid their obeisance at the cave till this afternoon, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH