10 injured in clashes, strike disrupts normal life in Kashmir
Srinagar: Defying curfew, protesters took to the streets here and clashed with police which left ten, including five cops, injured as a separatists-sponsored shutdown disrupted normal life across Kashmir valley on Monday.
Curfew remained in force in several parts of the valley after street-fights yesterday had left 30 hurt in Bandipora, Srinagar and Shopian.
One person received bullet injuries when security forces opened fire to quell a mob that blocked the national highway at Tengpora in Batmaloo locality in central Srinagar today, an official spokesman said.
Five policemen were injured in stone-pelting by the protesters, he said.
A woman was injured when police resorted to cane-charge and fired smoke shells to scatter the stone-pelters at Alochi Bagh here.
In Shalimar Chowk on the outskirts of Srinagar, a mob, which had blocked the road, was chased away by police, the spokesman said.
In the process, a woman fell down and was injured, he said adding two more injured elsewhere in the summer capital.
Curfew remained clamped in several parts of the Kashmir valley where a strike called by the separatists hit normal life.
Shops, businesses, educational institutions, banks and private offices were shut and traffic remained off the roads.
Curfew was in force in Srinagar, Anantnag, Bijbehara, Sopore, Kupwara and Bandipora while restrictions were imposed in other places after over 30 people were injured in clashes yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city